Monday, September 10, 2012

Pursuing the Glory of God

This morning I spent some time meditating on the Scriptures. When I read John 5:44 it seemed to leap off the page. In this passage Jesus said to the religious leaders of His day "How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God?"

Reflecting on this passage I noticed that personal belief is connected to our deep rooted motivations. We are called to passionately pursue the glory of God in all things. The Westminster Catechism states " Man's chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever." We were created to the end that we would magnify God with all of our lives. Paul said it this way "...whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God."

If our glory is our aim or goal, we will most likely receive some temporary satisfaction in this life, but if we make God's glory our aim we will have complete joy, both now and for all eternity. I recognize I am too often shortsighted and self-centered. I seek personal gratification and glorification when Jesus is constantly calling me to deny myself and the temporary glory I might receive and discover the deep and lasting satisfaction found in pursuing Jesus and His glory.




No comments: