Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Grace of God

A friend of mine asked me about the book of Titus last night so I decided to pick it up this morning and meditate upon it. When I read Titus 2:11-14 God grabbed my attention. I began to think about how grace is an active force. I then decided to outline it so I can better understand the content. Below is how I outlined it and I made some comments following the outline.

For the grace of God has appeared(it was made manifest to man by God),
  1. Grace came bringing salvation for all people
  2. Grace came training us 
    1. to renounce 
      1. ungodliness 
      2. worldly passions
    2. to live in this present age
      1. to live self-controlled lives
      2. to live upright lives
      3. to live godly lives
    3. to wait 
      1. for our blessed hope
      2. for the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ
        1. who gave himself for us 
          1. to redeem us from all lawlessness 
          2. to purify a people 
            1. for himself
            2. for his own possession 
            3. who are zealous for good works.
So what or better who is the "Grace" that appeared? If you keep reading you will discover we are waiting for the "appearing" of Jesus who brought this salvation by redeeming a people for Himself. The grace that appeared was a person, His name according to Paul is "our great God and Savior Jesus Christ."

Jesus came to save a people by redeeming them through faith in His shed blood. Jesus came to purify those whom He saves by training them to renounce the world & its passions and training them to live in such a way that we reflect Him who is pure. Those whom He is making pure are characterized by possessing a zeal for doing good.

No comments: