Monday, April 16, 2012

Lost

This morning the Lord directed me to Luke 15 where I spent a good portion of time reflecting on verses 1-10. There we discover the parables of the Lost Sheep and the Lost Coin.

Jesus told these parables in response to the grumbling of the Pharisees and scribes. They were upset that Jesus received and ate with sinners. Both parables tell a similar story: Something was lost, Someone sought after that which was lost, What was once lost was found and the response of Joy once the lost was found.

Over the weekend my family went to the Eno River with several other families. While there I noticed a man kept going around yelling something. As I continued to watch him for thirty minutes or so I noticed he appeared to be in anguish, frustration, and fearful. The next time I saw him, he was walking down the path yelling into the woods. I decided to ask him if he was looking for someone and if he needed any help. He described to me that his son decided to take an alternate path out, but he could not locate him. I asked what his son looked like and was wearing. He told me, although he described the wrong color shirt, and I decided to join in the search.

I began by going up a path looking through the woods and by the river. Everyone I passed I let them know of a boy who was lost and what he was wearing. I frantically was running around hopeful I would find him. After searching for some time I came out of the woods and saw the man again. This time there was a boy walking with him. I pursued him and asked if the boy with him was his son. He replied yes, this is my son. I knew prior to him telling me because the look on his face had turned from anguish to what appeared to be joy.

In the parables we learn that it is God who seeks, saves and rejoices over the lost who are found. As I began to think about the parable told by Jesus and the events of this weekend I began to be troubled. God has sent  all Christians on a rescue mission to seek and rescue those who are lost. The troubling part came when I realized how I walk through this life with little thought about how people will perish if they are not found. I lack the anguish and urgency over lost sinners. My life is not characterized by fear for those who are around me. I do not give enough thought, prayer and pursuit of to those who are perishing.

When I read that there are over 3,088,000,000 people who are considered "unreached" with the gospel unfortunately I'm not moved as I ought to be. These represent 3.088 Billion sons and daughters, fathers and mothers, grandparents, cousins, neighbors, etc. These are real people who have no hope without the gospel of Jesus.

I'm beginning to pray that God would give us a burden for the lost. I'm praying that God would give us the grace and boldness needed to begin an active pursuit of the lost. I'm praying that God would give us a deep concern and anguish for those who are perishing.

May we hope in God who has promised to seek and save some from all nations, peoples, and languages. May we have the joy of God as we see sinners reconciled to their God. May we rejoice when God grants sinners repentance and faith in Him. May we celebrate with the host of heaven who find joy in God accomplishing His mission.

No comments: